This looks and sounds like useless attempts.
1. Speak nicely. “Go clean your room, hun”. Replied by a whiny sound coming out of their mouths, followed by a delayed action, resulting a half-done picked up room.
2. Speak with demanding, threatening tone. “Now I’ve told you to clean your room, get up, do it now, or no play date this weekend. Why? Because I told you so.” Replied by a whiny sound coming out of their pouty mouths, followed by stomping sounds, resulting a messier room since the kids will be throwing stuff all over the toy box. In the other spectrum, the parents will feel a boiling blood, higher blood pressure, deep breaths to take and ask for a patience from God.
3. Checking the room and repeat number 2. Resulting, no clean room.
4. Grabbing the trash bag, filling up with whatever your eyes see on the floor, dragging the filled up bag to the backyard. Resulting crying kids.
5. Mom and kids don’t talk momentarily.
6. Speak nicely. “If you love your toys, better take care of them. Now put this bag back to your room and put them away.” Replied by a hopeful voice from the kids, dragging sound and resulting a trash bag sitting at the corner of their bedroom, half spilled to the floor.
7. Wait a couple of days, repeat number 1.